Monday, April 22, 2013

The Full House house (풀 하우스) has been destroyed.


Back in 2007, there was a popular miniseries on Korean TV called "Full House" (풀 하우스) starring Song Hye-Gyo (송 혜교) and Rain (비).  It was one of the first Korean TV shows I ever saw.  Recently, I took a trip to Si Island, a.k.a. Sido (시도), which is northwest of Incheon, to see the famous house from the series.  It took quite a long time to get there from downtown Seoul.  When I arrived at the beach that was indicated by the signs and tourist maps as being the location of the house, I saw nothing.  I proceeded to frantically explore the coastline, thinking I had taken a wrong turn, and started worrying about not being able to find the house before the day's last return ferry to Incheon.  Then it hit me:  the pile of rubble at the cordoned-off "construction site" I had walked by several times WAS the house.  It had been torn down.  No more picket fence.  No more spiral staircase.  No chance to sing the Three Bears song in the same place where Ji-eun, Song Hye-Gyo's character, had once sung it.   There stood nearby a dilapidated old ticket booth with faded pictures of Rain in an open shirt still posted in its windows.  In big bold letters, another sign in its windows shouted "CLOSED." No kidding!







Since I had come so far, I sang the Three Bears song anyway with the rubble as my background.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE4nn5EwzvQ&feature=youtu.be




6 comments:

Asti Wisnu said...

oh my... this is just recently??? too bad i didn't visit it last July when I go there.. now i didn't have the chance to even look at the real house... *sad

Wanderer Claire said...

Hi Steven! one of my blog readers shared your post about Full House setground location having torn down already and it breaks my heart as the house compliments with the shoreline. I'd like to post the pics that I took before and its current state now. With that, may I ask for your permission for me to post your photos - will mention you as my source of course. Here's my post on full house. thanks!
http://chriene.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-koreas-full-house-experience.html?spref=fb

Unknown said...

i visited the house on july 2012...such a beautiful house and nice surrounding. i met old man who had the keys to the house. he looked lonely and very happy to met us. ...sad to know its all gone, the memories....

Unknown said...

sad that i will never have a chance to see the Full House.. =(

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

oh my! a feeling of sadness rushed through my veins... I'm working on our SOKOR'14 adventure and saw your blog! I told my friends that visiting FULL HOUSE is a must since we're dropping by Incheon. If only I went to see it when I first visited SOKOR last year :(